Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Three Days of Life Changing Experiences



I am taking the time to write about this, because these three days have been the most life changing sequence for me thus far. As you may know I have been a writer long before I knew how to walk straight, talk straight, or even think straight. It has always been my passion and calling, one that I am so blessed to have turned into a career---albeit sometimes fledgling but a career nonetheless.

Thursday June 25, 2009

I awoke to the news of Farrah Fawcett’s death. I was not surprised but still heartbroken for a woman that had lost her battle to a disease that she wanted nothing more than to beat. Later that day, I arrived on a television set to interview one of my favorite new artists. 30-minutes later I received news of Michael Jackson being rushed to the hospital. I immediately pulled out my cell phone and Googled the information, only to find that as the details unfolded things did not look promising for the King of Pop.

The next hour was a blur. A piece of my heart dropped because I knew that God had unselfishly taken him home; null of the confirmation that some needed to believe the news. I left the set, went home, reflected and sat stunned in disbelief all the while holding an ounce of hope that maybe this was a horrible, horrible dream.

Friday June 26, 2009

I awoke at 6 a.m. to get a newspaper to chronicle a memory that I would not soon forget. By the end of the day I was attending/covering the ASCAP awards which honored the accomplishments of the legendary Smokey Robinson and the incomparable Alicia Keys. As I stood in a moment riddled with grief, I looked up to catch Smokey briskly walking by me, and a slue of other journalists. As we made our way inside the room in the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, I took my place at my seat to watch a tribute to Michael Jackson. The president of ASCAP took the stage to talk about Michael’s amazing presence and everlasting talent. Near the show’s end Motown Records founder Berry Gordy said a few words about Michael and his friend Smokey. That moment will be forever etched in a memory that sometimes seems to be fading too soon. I sat at my table fighting back tears as I reflected on being close enough to breathe the same air as the legend that is Smokey Robinson. To me this moment was more than exciting, it was full circle. As a child, I’d dream of being a writer. I would scan daily newspapers looking for (and finding) typos before joyously taking my findings to my mother. “Mommy! They made a mistake here!” I didn’t know it then, but I was beginning my job as an editor!

In high school my mother bought me a record player. Although we had many records in the house (that I would later take from my parents to add to my own collection), I never had my own. The first record I purchased was ‘Talking Book’ by Stevie Wonder. Then I heard a song, one that I had heard several times yet seemingly for the first time: ‘Ain’t Too Proud To Beg’ by the Temptations. I built my music arsenal of famous Motown artists and other music legends. At 18, I nourished what I thought then was a broken heart (it was only cracked!) to Billie Holiday’s ‘You’ve Changed,’ cleaned my house to a melody of Supremes’ songs, and kicked back to Duke Ellington’s ‘New Mood Indigo.’ Among my collection was Smokey Robinson and the Miracles anthology album for the song ‘You Really Got A Hold On Me.’ Smokey amazed me not only because of his singing but mostly because of his writing. Writers always love, respect, study and cherish other writers. Flash forward to this day and I am sitting here listening to him speak about his life as a songwriter. If there is one thing I know for sure it is that if you have a dream, should you be so courageous to follow it, no matter the obstacles, God will bless you more times over than you can imagine.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

BET Awards. The beaming sun did little to help my up-and-down mood. Yet through it all, I remained in the moment, humbled and grateful. I interviewed tons of musicians: ones from my personal music collection, ones from my childhood, and the ones holding my adoration. I witnessed the heartbreaking words of a grief stricken Janet Jackson plus the bizarre but mournful energy that Joe Jackson brought into the room as he came to speak to us.

I write about these experiences because they have been the most emotionally paralyzing sequential moments in my very short journalistic career. Have I always believed in my goals becoming a reality? Absolutely. Have I stuck by my dreams even when the hurricane like winds that life can bring worked to test my endurance? Undoubtedly. Yet more than anything I work to stress that if you believe in yourself and your abilities plus commit to that belief, God will more than meet you half way. He will exceed your wildest dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment